– for cities
Cities can benefit by harnessing the power of culture to:
- Change the mindset and behavior of society to the environment. This is an essential requirement for mayors, policy makers and business to be able to generate green growth.
- Ensure civic and cultural cooperation on investments in greening urban development, for e.g. new systems of energy, transport and waste management, housing, buildings and retrofits and so on.
A number of cultural institutions hesitate due to their mandate or for other reasons to act for ecology, and this will be helped if cities acknowledge such efforts, deem them as leaders, or provide other incentives to overcome barriers.
- A first goal to discuss can for example be how to support cultural institutions and sectors in cities to lead in reductions of carbon and ecological footprints. Some cities have already gone ahead in this direction with success.
- A second goal can be cultural elements in green demonstration projects and space planning.
Cities should take measures to support cultural institutional leadership for connecting culture and ecology
This includes institutions of:
- Art, including performing and visual arts
- Film, broadcasting and media
- Sports and leisure
- Craft and design